Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Chico is changing yet again....

As the fall semester gradually approaches, or rather, as the fall semester gets ready to pounce on me and eagerly drain my brain cells, I cannot help but think of all the changes that Chico undergoes as the new school semester approaches, especially in the Fall. Chico is affectionately known as a "college town" even though it's partying-reputation has decreased significantly since the 1990s, and has worked diligently to restore it's somewhat checkered reputation. As a result, I am beginning to see all the college students return to Chico as they gradually infiltrate the streets, stores and shops, sometimes to the greater frustration of most people here in town. However, it also got me thinking about the students that I will meet this semester, the new incoming graduate students as well as some of the other students that may be new undergraduates.

This semester I will be leading a group seminar/therapy group mainly full of lower classmen. It's always interesting for me to encounter these young students, especially as I try to recall what it was like when I was a freshman at Chico State (like it was all that long ago), but yet it still seems like it was such a long time ago. It's always interesting to see these students, their differences in personality, how you can see them trying to fit in, the intimidation, homesickness, and it always surprises me that they seem so young even though there's only 4-5 years separating us. It feels like a lifetime stands between us.

I am also interested in meeting the new group of MFT graduate students, because I remember how stressed, awe-inspiring, intimidating and exciting that first semester was for me, and it's always interesting to watch the newbie's reactions to the new higher octane environment of graduate school.

Well, summer is almost over and the freedom that I have enjoyed for the last few months is finally slipping away. I'm getting one step closer to the completion of my degree, my wedding! and the future. If there's any time to feel like you're standing on the edge of a great beginning, it would be now.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

it is strange to think of you leading a group, when you are my little sister! You are growing up soooo fast...sigh! Okay just kidding, but I can hardly believe you are where you are, I can imagine it must be slightly sureal for you as well!! I love you!

Jenn said...

I know it seems so crazy to me. It also makes me so concerned for their young hearts and it just creates such a desire to reach out to them! It's crazy that I actually want to put up with teenagers and 20 somethings.

Some of Jenn's Favorite Books

  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Calvin & Hobbes
  • Fight Club
  • Great Expectations
  • Lucky
  • MacBeth
  • Mere Christianity
  • Midnight Bayou
  • Northern Lights
  • Posionwood Bible
  • Pretense
  • Pride & Prejudice
  • Queen's Own Fool
  • Terry Goodkind Books
  • The Age of Innoncence
  • The Case for Christ
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  • The Lovely Bones
  • The Other Boleyn Girl
  • The Red Tent
  • The Secret of Dragonhome
  • The Virgin's Lover