Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back from my Midwestern Adventure


I finally got home last night around 11pm, from my visit to Kansas City, MO. I was there visiting my sister Larissa, her husband Will, and her boys Silas, Kace and Gresham. While I had a great time visiting with everyone, I was mainly there to be the extra hands, feet and body for my sister who is busy growin' her baby girl Petra. She's been feeling a little down-hearted because in her mind she's "slacking" because she doesn't have any energy and doesn't feel very well much of the time. However, even when I am being very productive, helpful and am full of energy, she's still much busier than I am because she's carrying a precious life inside of her and I'm sure that even on my best days, her work, although unseen, greatly outweighs mine. Never the less, I felt very blessed to have the opportunity to visit my sister and be a help to her and her family, especially since it entailed getting to know each of her boys, who already has their own distinct personalities.


Contrary to what many people may think, taking care of 3 kids, or should I say "helping take care of 3 kids" did not automatically dampen any desire that I had to have my own children. In fact, it made me feel even more positive about wanting my own children. That's still several years away, but there is something so special about raising up your own children and watching them grow and develop their own personalities, feelings and minds. It is also such an encouragement to see my sister and her husband interact with one another, as I approach my own wedding and marital relationship, and even watching them interact with their children was an encouragement to how I would like to raise my own children.


The time I spent with her and her family was definitely the highlight, the plane ride was uneventful, but with it's usual share of colorful characters. I am glad to be home and back with Scott and Apollo, but I will definitely miss seeing three sweet little faces, as well as my sister and her husband. I'm ready to relax and enjoy my time at home without little ones for the time being, but it definitely makes you look forward to the future.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Kace keeps asking me if you are coming back or if grams is coming. I keep telling him that you can't come back right now, but he doesn't seem to understand....maybe you and scott can come out together after the wedding or something, once we move and make them really understand how much fun aunts and uncles can be!! Love you both!

Justin said...

Already ready for the kids!?

I know what you mean about watching their personalities develop, it really is amazing and heart warming.

Jenn said...

I can't wait to come see you guys again! We'll definitely have to plan at trip, maybe not for '09 but maybe for early '10. Now that we'll have to split holidays between Wyoming and So-Cal traveling is sure to be more and more fun!

Some of Jenn's Favorite Books

  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Calvin & Hobbes
  • Fight Club
  • Great Expectations
  • Lucky
  • MacBeth
  • Mere Christianity
  • Midnight Bayou
  • Northern Lights
  • Posionwood Bible
  • Pretense
  • Pride & Prejudice
  • Queen's Own Fool
  • Terry Goodkind Books
  • The Age of Innoncence
  • The Case for Christ
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  • The Lovely Bones
  • The Other Boleyn Girl
  • The Red Tent
  • The Secret of Dragonhome
  • The Virgin's Lover