Monday, September 29, 2008

Exhaustion

As I sit at work trying to stay awake, I thought I'd give a quick recap of the weekend events that made me so tired.

Friday - After a full day of work, some last minute scrambling and preparation we (Jenn, Jeremy, Kim and I) took off for Sleep Train Amphitheater in Marysville to see Cheap Trick, Heart and Journey. We arrived at around 7:30 and heard the last few songs of Cheap Trick's set as we were driving in and walking towards the venue. After cruising through what can only be described as the most pathetic bag check ever we made our way to the general admission lawn seats. Kim and I have both been to concerts here before, but we both agreed that this was the largest crowd we had ever seen. Normally you can bring a blanket and spread out a bit. Not this time, it was standing room only and we were packed in tight.

As for the show, Heart put on a great set with most of their classics and a killer rendition of The Who's Reign O'er Me. Ann Wilson can still belt out the vocals. Then it was time for Journey. They played a good mix of new and old stuff, although they definitely got a better response from the crowd with their older songs. Their new Korean lead singer impressed us all. I have some video of "Don't Stop Believin" that I may try and post later.

We had a great time despite the large crowd and the inevitable annoying people who end up right next to you.

Saturday - So after getting home from the concert at around 12:30 - 1:00 in the morning it was straight to bed so that I could get up at 7:30 to prepare for my triathlon. More of a mini triathlon, but you can still be impressed. Every year Becky (a college friend of mine who lives in nearby Los Molinos) hosts a "triathlon" on her birthday. Its a family and friends event, nothing too official but fun nonetheless. Every year for the past 5 years I have been invited, and every year I have managed to find an excuse to not go. This year however I felt up to the challenge.



Becky's family has some orchards near the Sacramento River. So our mini triathlon consisted of approximately 1/2 mile run from her parents house to the river, followed by a short 100 yard or so swim, another 1/2 mile run from the river back to the house where we left our bikes, and finally a 12 mile bike ride. Of the 4 legs the hardest part was most definitely the 1/2 mile run after the swim. I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I'm in good enough condition to handle a few mile jog, swimming however really took it out of me. I realized I am NOT in swimming shape. Once I made it to the bikes though I was able to enjoy the bike ride through the orchards. It was a beautiful day thankfully. As for the results I finished in 6th place out of about 15 people with a time of 1 hour, 25 minutes and 44 seconds. I'm confident that with smaller rests between stations and a better bike I could shave at least 10 minutes off that time. That will be the goal for next year. Anyway once everyone finished it was BBQ time. All in all it was a great time.

However, needless to say by Saturday afternoon I was physically exhausted and quite sore (again I think I need a new bike). I spent the rest of the day cleaning up around the house and relaxing. After picking Jenn and her friends up from their girls night out at around 1:00 in the morning it was time for some much needed sleep.

Sunday - Ah yes the always exhausting football day. Ok, yesterday was neither tiring nor demanding. It was just what I needed. A full day of couch time watching football games at Nick's apartment. I'd like to use this chance to say GO BUFFALO BILLS! 4-0! Its been a long time (over a decade) since Buffalo has been a team of relevance. With a soft schedule and the Tom Brady-less Patriots, this could be the year that Buffalo takes their division.

Anyway, back to work today and softball game tonight. No rest for the weary!

3 comments:

Justin said...

I am jealous of your tri event! That sounds like a lot of fun. Congratulations on your great race!

And go Bills! Why not... I have nothing else to cheer for in sports nowadays.

Scotty said...

Thanks Justin! Yeah the race was a lot of fun. I think I need to spend less time on the treadmill and more time in the pool when I'm at the gym though. My goodness swimming takes it out of me.

Jenn said...

I'm glad you qualified your exhaustion of watching football. Your eyes must be tired though, after a full day of focusing on all those little players on the field running back and forth for 6 hours straight. :P It was a CRAZY weekend!

Some of Jenn's Favorite Books

  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Calvin & Hobbes
  • Fight Club
  • Great Expectations
  • Lucky
  • MacBeth
  • Mere Christianity
  • Midnight Bayou
  • Northern Lights
  • Posionwood Bible
  • Pretense
  • Pride & Prejudice
  • Queen's Own Fool
  • Terry Goodkind Books
  • The Age of Innoncence
  • The Case for Christ
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  • The Lovely Bones
  • The Other Boleyn Girl
  • The Red Tent
  • The Secret of Dragonhome
  • The Virgin's Lover